Hello everyone… I’m Madi from Luwu, South Sulawesi Indonesia. I am an English teacher in a local school. Why I’m here now… I love teaching and my goal is to help people in my local area to be able to speak English. I’m a big believer in “think globally, act locally”.
The ELC Lontara school is an english school that has an ecologic system. Indonesia has big problem with trash : the school aims to educate the students to raise the awareness on the environmental challenges. The students come to the school and learn about the protection of the environment for free. They bring waste and during their free time they learn how to recycle.
I want to empower the young people and bring awareness on environmental challenges. I aim to make a change in the village and bring positive environmental friendly impacts.
I’m looking for volunteers excited to help local people learning English to improve their language skills. It’s about being a partner in speaking practice.
I can offer :
– Accommodation in a private traditional house next to my home
– Three meals in a day
– I would show you traditional market of Belopa and would be nice to cook together while studying traditional food of Indonesia.
– I would also like to invite you to visit government schools in the mornings, where you can help me by talking with students there and promoting my after-school English program.
– You can learn some of the local languages.
– For transportation, I have a motorcycle and bicycle I can show you the culture in my local area (and let me tell you something… the people here are nice and they really respect the guest who come from abroad. You will feel like a superstar here).
– Luwu is a district surrounded by a region, in South Sulawesi, Indonesia, about 300 km from Makassar City. The landscape is very beautiful, filled with rice fields and mountains (it’s truly Asia). We are near Pannori Beach and a long, but doable drive from Buntu Matabbing beach. They are both very natural beaches with not too much tourism. Luwu has a lot of beautiful places I’m sure you will enjoy.
The school is meant to help the local people from my village to have access to education for free. I am also very sensitive to the environment and I want to change the mentality towards the use of waste in my country.
They need your active support. You can check their website to get more information.
Website : https://elclontara.wordpress.com/
Please click on the volunteer link below to discuss with the NGO how you can help.